Thursday, September 6, 2012

{Recipe} Black Bottom Cupcakes

from How About Orange because she takes better photos than me!

I am not a fan of cake or cupcakes, mainly because they tend to be dry and inedible without icing (which I really don't like). BUT, these cupcakes are amazing! I found this recipe on Pinterest here. I am a lover of cream cheese and I thought I'd give these a try.

I have had black bottom cupcakes from bakeries and sandwich shops, but they were sometimes dry. I hate the feeling of having to immediately get a glass of water to "wash" down what was supposed to be scrumptiously delicious!

These cupcakes are NOT dry. They have a special ingredient that helps keep them moist and fluffy (vinegar). Plus, they are so easy and fast to prepare.

I know this type of recipe does not follow my goal of guiding you to prepare things you have produced yourself, but this was a request by a lab mate, and I usually follow through. At least this is a recipe that is easy for a beginner to feel comfortable doing. Don't buy cupcakes from the store, make them yourself! You will save a lot of money and feel great about your accomplishment.

Recipe (from How About Orange): Black Bottom Cupcakes

Filling
1 package (8 oz.) cream cheese, softened
1/3 c. sugar
1 egg
1/8 tsp. salt
1 c. chocolate chips (I use semi-sweet)
1 c. peanut butter chips (or more chocolate chips)

Cupcakes
1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1 c. sugar
1/4 c. baking cocoa
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 c. water
1/3 c. veg. oil (I use light olive oil)
1 Tbsp. white vinegar
1 tsp. vanilla

In a bowl, beat the cream cheese until smooth.

Add sugar, egg, and salt. Mix well. Fold in chips. Set aside.

For cupcakes, combine dry ingredients in a medium bowl. Add water, oil, vinegar, and vanilla. Mix well. The batter will be foamy (this is good!).

Fill paper-lined muffin cups half-full with batter. Top each with 2 Tbsp. of cream cheese mixture.

Bake at 350 degrees for 25- 30 minutes. Cool 10 minutes and remove from pan. Makes 18.

*To measure the cream cheese mixture I use a small cookie dough scoop. It works great and doesn't create a mess.

The Science Behind: Vinegar in baking

Cake recipes often use baking soda (a base) which helps to make the cake rise. This is often combined with eggs (acidic) and the two will react to make the cake rise and be fluffy. But often these cakes come out dense and heavy. This is not ideal for sheet cake and cupcakes. Instead, reduce the number of eggs in the recipe, and add in a little bit of vinegar.
Source
Vinegar is an acid: acetic acid. When combined with baking soda (bicarbonate) carbon dioxide and water is the byproduct. This is the same reaction that happens in the volcanoes children make for science projects. The moisture will get trapped in the cake and the carbon dioxide (a gas) will rise out of the cake causing the cake to be airy and fluffy. Provided the cake isn't baked too long, it will be very fluffy and moist.

No comments:

Post a Comment